Saturday, April 19, 2014

Building a New Drawing for Bridge Day: Images of the Bridge / Depot / Wharf in STAUNTON Virginia

Bridge Day 2013, Staunton VA
I've wanted to draw this place - the Sears Hill Bridge / Train Depot / Wharf area - for the past year and jumped at the chance to make a new drawing to celebrate the 2nd Annual Bridge Day this year! Lucky for me, one of the organizers contacted me with an opportunity to be one of a few arts vendors. The proposition struck my memory chords to a very happy Bridge Day 2013 - the first one. I was buried in my Master's thesis on 18th c. Bird's-Eye Views. A short outing to ascend the Bridge, hear some bluegrass, eat a fresh-made-on-the-spot potato donut, see the Stauntonians out in force and the amazing view of Staunton from Sears Hill was a *bright spot* in that heavy month. Since then, we bring friends often to the bridge on a tour about town or for a picnic at Woodrow Park and then try to convince them to move here. I've wandered there often lately to photograph and think about how to draw this amazing, complex space. Here are a few of my favorite parts, in photos:
Bridge Day 2013, Staunton VA
Bridge Day 2013, Staunton VA
Bridge Day 2013, Staunton VA
Bridge Day 2013, Staunton VA
Railroad Depot, Staunton VA. Summer 2013.
Railroad Wharf, Middlebrook Avenue, Staunton VA. Summer 2013.
Rail Statipn Awning, CSX Tracks, Staunton VA. Summer 2013.
Sears Hill Bridge and Depot. Staunton, VA. Winter 2014.
Sears Hill Bridge and Depot. Staunton, VA. Winter 2014.
Sears House, Sears Hill. Staunton, VA. Winter 2014.

No comments: