Sunday, December 14, 2008

Savannah Christmas




The first Saturday of December is when Savannah neighbors come out to trim their squares.
I was busy running over the Talmadge Bridge (twice) with 2,000 other runners that morning, but as I walked back home after the race, admiring the burgeoning array of holiday decoration along the streets, I was greeted in my square by a gentleman wrapping pine boughs up the lamppost. He said, "How'd you do?" I said, "Not bad." I also ran into this coolgirl capturing these decorations with her polaroid - a good friend mistaken for a tourist...funny story...
I admire the neighborly efforts combined to dress up our treasured squares for Christmas and by the natural festive decoration on many homes. I love the garlands of magnolia leaves - shiny deep green on one side, rusty on the other. Woven together with white lights, it's beautiful. Another favorite is the small deciduous tree at the center of Chatham Square onto which neighbors have lashed pine boughs to simulate a Christmas tree (last photo). It reminds me of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree - awkward, misshapen, and loveable.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love all the Christmas decorations in Savannah. I'm glad you posted pictures, since we can't be there this year.