Monday, May 7, 2012

I've come to ROME to Draw

DIAGRAM:
top: drawing from distance, apart from
bottom: drawing from within
I've come to Rome for a month, many thanks to the Pelliccia Fellowship from the Architecture School at the University of Virginia. My task is to make drawings, to understand the lineage of the bird's eye view from its Italian beginnings and development since the early Renaissance, and to begin to discover for myself the role of drawing in visualizing history and the contribution of the designer-historian. I will be drawing at two scales or vantages - from a distance, the closest I can find to the bird's eye - and from within a "room", either in a building or an outdoor space enclosed by various "walls." The former is seeking objectivity while the latter seeks the experiential.

No comments: