Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Richard Hunt, Sculptor - Collector

Thanks to my colleague, Anthony, I made it to the last hour of the last day of the Richard Hunt show at the SCAD Museum of Art today.
Wow.

Of Hunt's sculptures, the most captivating idea and composition was the Middle Passage - a huge sketch and a model in bronze, commissioned in 1986 - for a yet unfabricated life-size sculpture.
Of his personal art collection, I was interested in the duality - it's comprised of rough-hewn African tribal art and precise Piranesi etchings of Roman ruins - and also his thoughts on the artist as collector: ..."what the works of art that surround me reveal of the makers' processes of intuitive adaptation and creation are of prime importance. Of less importance, to me, are the more usual collecting criteria of beauty, age, and rarity."

No comments: