Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Shameless Nostalgia: Wish I was a Farm Security Administration Photographer

These rare photographs, from color slides, seemed the perfect companion to Norman Rockwell's painterly scenes of American life of the early-mid-1900s. These FSA and Office of War Information images are also drenched with color and reality. They are dirty and precious and frought with humility and survival and dignity.
The photographs were published online by the Denver Post and came to me, in perfect timing, by my friend, Paul.
Afton took me on a photo tour of their Maine summer last night, with stories of life lived as it was thirty years ago: moose, sea chowders for dinner, small towns with big crowds in for an annual pirate festival, booming fishing and ship-building industries faded so that Maine towns are a ghost of their former selves, buying a loot of real good old stuff for not a lot of money...
The stuff of dreams.

No comments: