Saturday, October 17, 2009

Montgomery, Alabama: It's the Capital!

The road from Wetumpka, the almost-State Capital, led me to Montgomery. I am embarassed to admit that I did not realize Montgomery was the state capital. Need to brush on fourth grade social studies...However, it was very soon crystal clear by the dominance of white, classical buildings, flags, and monuments that this is the state capital. Since this is the capital of Alabama, the first Confederate Capital, Civil War plaques and the home of the first Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, are also present. Not present, on this Saturday afternoon, were people. I felt like I was on an abandoned stage set, the only girl in a puffer vest running around taking photos......until I found myself running down the capitol steps to see this facade from the street and discovered I was running into the photo frame of this woman (see below) in a vest taking photographs, the only other person about the capitol. Well, she wasn't really running like me, a car drove up shortly afterward and she hopped into the passenger seat..and her vest was fleece.Home of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America

No comments: