Saturday, October 17, 2009

Selma, Alabama: Neighborhoods

I never imagined the benefit of a GPS device, but I am so glad Jamie loaned me hers for this trip. When I drove the backroads of Virginia seven years ago, searching out small towns, I'd map my route the night before and write simple directions - turn L or R, road names, etc. - on a small piece of paper taped to the dashboard of the state car to guide me all day. This time, I just typed any town, be it a state capital or tiny crossroads, into the GPS and it would land me there. I usually chose an alternate route for scenic and cultural enrichment. In Selma, I suppose GPS took me to the geographic center, which I was happy to photograph, this neighborhood of shotgun houses. I found the "downtown" on my own, but I enjoyed the detour.

No comments: